November 01, 2017

AMERICAN DREAM - The Beginning

Year long preparation , saving every penny I earned, cutting down my expense, lots of uncertainties; calling many people to inquire about visa, getting the visa and finally booking my tickets. I could write about all these in five sentences but this was one hell of a roller coaster ride. Who doesn't get excited about going overseas : That too to the land of the American dream; the land that boasts the greatness of Washington, the power epitome of today's world above all , the land that beckons all.

Till the sails are cast and the boat is in water, you( or I) can never be sure of the last minute changes in the plan. Finally the day arrived, I had packed my luggage a week in advance so everything was set on the day of journey.

One of my friends from office had agreed to drop me to the airport; so officially the journey  began. My flight was at 4:15 a.m in the morning and my planned route was Bangalore - Abu Dhabi- Los Angeles. Ideally there shouldn't have been much of a problem for me because I reached almost 2.5 hours early to the airport. But this was the day, the whole of Bangalore decided to catch a flight. There was at-least a thousand people standing for immigration. And yes , it took me almost two hours to complete the whole immigration process.

By the time I reached the departure gates after the security check, the passengers were standing in the queue to board. Well, there were butterflies in my stomach as this was my first lone trip abroad. I boarded the Jet Airways flight to Abu Dhabi, nervous but equally excited.

The trip was peaceful with a very courteous staff offering snacks and drinks at regular intervals. Everyone was catching up some sleep before we land, but I couldn't even close my eyes.Unfortunately there was no video screen to pass my time, so I sat glancing through the only magazine that was available. When that was done, I took the pain to memorize the safety & security check document in front of me.

When the flight finally landed; I was so eager to run out of it because I had just an hour to clear the security, US immigration and US customs. There was again a long queue of people waiting to clear the security check.When I asked an Etihad personnel about my next flight, he told me to run because I had very little time. So that was what I did. I ran.

Since I was a newbie, I tried following people. This was the biggest mistake. If I had opened my eyes and ears, I could have easily switched my lines when the security personnel formed new lines. Instead I stood in the longest queue taking almost 30 mins to just cross the security check. Half way to the US immigration counter, I understood that I had left my watch behind. I ran the whole way back and asked the security personnel screening the luggage, if they had found a watch. Lucky as I was, he had kept the watch aside. I folded my hands and told him a big thank you before I ran back to the US immigration.

One thing about the Abu Dhabi International Airport is that there is a lot of distance to cover between the terminals. So running around the airport is the best way to prepare  your body before a long flight.
On the way to the Custom Clearance, there are multiple security check points. At one of the points, people will be selected randomly for further screening. Being my first time, I got jitters especially when the security took my passport and showed me to a waiting room.He told something about him keeping the passport in broken English and I was taken back. It took me and him sometime to figure out what he meant- he would be keeping the passport till my name was called for security check. All this while, I was running out of time to catch my flight and this hurdle was least expected. 

Once the security check was done, I proceeded to the immigration. I could see some people filling a document, some people standing in a queue. I was clueless of what has to be done so I asked some people who willingly directed me to first fill out the Customs Declaration Form and then proceed to the counter. As my turn reached, I was asked numerous questions by the official and I patiently answered everything with a smile. Finally he said ; " Have fun but not too much". My heart leaped with joy.

The flight to Los Angeles was very long- 14.5 hours. I had chosen the window seat assuming that I could sleep more peacefully. There were two gentlemen next to me who were very helpful through out the flight. I did not know how to use the mini  screen behind the seat in front of me; every time I got stuck- help was right next to me. Whenever I needed to go to the washroom, they got up from their seats and made way for me even when it was in the middle of their sleep without fussing about it.

Long flights can be a real challenge especially if you cant get sleep. I had enough time to watch  at least 7 movies but I chose to watch only two. It tends to be strenuous for the eyes with the dimmed lights and for the ears with the sound of the engine. More than a hundred times during the flight, I checked the flight route and expected time of landing. Rest of the time, I fought with my body to get some sleep , managing a couple of hours of not-so-sound sleep. Flight attendants in Etihad were so polite and made the journey as comfortable as it could be. I had pre-opted for Hindu meal and the meals offered were visually appealing . But my subdued taste buds did no justice to the food and I barely had a mouthful each time.

Finally, there was an announcement that the flight would be shortly landing at the Los Angeles International Airport. I could see the vast expanse of clouds moving away and the land nearing to me. It was 1:30 p.m LA time, when my flight landed. Since the immigration was completed in Abu Dhabi, we were redirected to collect the luggage directly. The walk to the Luggage Claim Area seemed to be so confusing with me asking questions to multiple people and finally tagging along an elderly couple till I reached the baggage claim area.

My friend had told that she would be waiting for me near the exit and my baggage claim area was exactly near that. I tried connecting to the wi-fi but for some reason , it was not working. I went to the help desk and asked the lady if she could help me with the issue. I told her that I needed to call my friend and my phone was not getting connected to the wi-fi." I dont have time for you, ma'm. I will give you this . Try figuring out on your own", with that she gave me a small card with the instruction of how to connect to the wi-fi.

I expected very friendly and helpful people so I was taken back. My phone was still not getting connected to the wi-fi and I had to ask multiple people sitting there.

" My phone is getting connected. Not sure what is happening  with yours" 

" I am sorry. There is a pay phone over there. May be you can use that". 

These were the kind of responses I got. Eventually I decided to get myself some quarters from a money exchange counter. The faces I saw around, were not friendly at all, my spirits were sinking lower and lower as each moment passed by. My friend was not even there near the exit!

Using a pay phone was something foreign to me so I decided to ask an elderly gentleman who was using another payphone. He resembled Samuel L Jackson with a bald head and a cowboy hat. " He must be a very friendly person", I thought to myself.

" Excuse me, Sir? I am not much familiar with the payphone. Can you dial this number for me?" , I asked.

" You get me some change from that counter. Then I will help you", he replied.

This couldn't be true.  I stood there with baffled eyes and again asked the same question . He repeated the same answer. This was not working. So I pretended that I dint understand English and talked to him in broken English. He gave up. He took all the coins from me and dialed the number for me. Unfortunately , my friend was not picking the call. I tried twice with no results. I kept the phone down and thanked him for his help.

" Now you get me some change from that counter", with this he pushed into my hands 50 cents. 

I walked with my head stooped low, I was on the verge of breaking down. I got some quarters and gave it to him and he left without even giving back my coins.  So now, I had no option but to ask fellow Indians for help. I asked some 2-3 people. First couple couldn't find their phone. They almost emptied their whole suitcase in front of me.  The next person I asked, willingly dialed the number for me but my friend was not picking up. I was lost. Did she forget that I was reaching LA today? How will I catch a cab to their home ? I had lots of questions.

I collected my luggage, exited the airport and sat outside waiting for a miracle. After some time, I saw the gentleman who sat next to me on the flight, exiting the airport. I ran to him and told him that I was lost here and if he could help. I almost broke down.

" Calm down! We will find a way." He assured me. This was like the welcome rain in grueling summer.

He tried calling my friend again. I waited with baited breath. 

" Hello".. I heard him say that word and I was ecstatic.

Within minutes, he explained the situation to my friend and after 3 hours of my arrival, I met my friend. I kept saying thanks to my new friend who calmly told me that even he was in the same situation the first time he came to US to meet his wife. He hugged me and wished me a happy vacation before leaving.

This was the beginning of my American Dreams.






No comments:

Post a Comment

SNEAKPEAK - BE THE FIRST TO READ

POPULAR READS